Crash and Burn

It was a rough week this last week.  Where I found the energy and fortitude to gut it out the week before, I could not pull it out this week.  It was a school holiday on Monday and that ALWAYS throws everything off.  Our run turned into 7.5 miles and I was not adequately prepared for it.  Tuesday I was going to bike outside but I couldn't get myself to do it.  It was too cold.  And then it just went downhill from there.  I missed my long bike and another bike session.  I didn't make it to any of my strength training sessions.  I didn't go to lunch with the gym ladies.  I was in a funk all week.  I even snapped at one of my best running buddies on Friday.  Definitely not one of my finer moments.  I came home, repented of my meanness and looked up symptoms of why I was so irritable and achy and realized that I (a) had cancer and was dying (b) had a deficiency in some major nutrition and (c) was overtrained.

It's probably a combination of b and c.  My nutrition has been horrendous and basically just stuff I would have eaten in college.  Friday night, my legs cramped all night and were so sore Saturday morning, I decided to take the entire weekend off.  I talked to a nutrition friend and she thinks I probably have a deficiency in calcium and magnesium.  Makes sense because I don't eat a lot of dairy.  So I'm going to try some supplements and see if that helps.

I also came to the conclusion that my summer training plan of just running as much as we wanted because we had the time and it was fun isn't going to cut it right now.  I need to rein it in and stay closer to my training plan for all three disciplines.

Luckily it was a "recovery" week this week and so I didn't lose too much.  I'm back and in good form to hit it hard this week!

Weekly Totals
Swimming: 5828 yds
Biking: 1 ride on the spin bike
Running: 15.2 miles

Workout of the Week
Despite having a terrible week, I did make it to all three swimming workouts.  Thursday, I was swimming a longer set and it felt...effortless.  It's not as fast as I would want.  My form isn't as tight as I would like it.  But I felt like I could go forever.  And it wasn't because of some pre-workout or because I was sitting in the wake of a faster swimmer.  It was all me.  This gives me hope that maybe 1.2 miles (and 2.4 miles next year) won't kill me after all.




Comments